I have created this blog so that friends of Barbara Tufty can leave a few notes for others to read and share. Please feel free to post your thoughts and comment on others.
Roar's "Celebration of Life" is set for the following venue:
Saturday October 18th, at 3:00 PM
Cedar Lane Unitarian Church
9601 Cedar Lane, Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4099
http://www.cedarlane.org/
There will be a friends and family gathering at Barbara's house afterwards at:
3812 Livingston St., NW
Washington, DC 20015
(202)363-7674
She passed quickly on July 30th, 2008 and we are quietly remembering her every day. Please let us know if you plan on attending just so we have a rough head count. We know in our hearts that many of you will be there in spirit even if you cannot make it in person.
Please pass on this information to anyone we might have missed.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Mary and Don Meek will be there from Florida!!
Donations in Barbara's name can be made to:
Barbara Tufty fund
friends of cacapon river
po 321
great cacapon WV 25422
The formal, full name of the church of Roar's Celebration is: "The Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church," according to Patron.
Barbara;
Thank you for being.
Thanks for your smiling face.
Thanks for your three wonderful children, who bring positive energy into the world.
Thanks for my friend Steven.
In Peace
Greg Stone
I stayed a few days with Roar and Hal last October, a trip initially inspired by the prospect of my mom and I visiting DC; Roar and my mom were close friends since the 1950s. I’m grateful I could spend some time with them, enjoying meals at their home and an outing with Roar to the National Zoo. I guided her through making a vegan stir fry the first night, which we ate with red wine on the front porch. Hal at the time was recovering from a foot injury and stayed in bed most of the time, coming downstairs only for evening drinks and dinner. Each morning Roar cut up fresh fruit for him and served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, bringing it to him in bed. Then she would cook up eggs and bring up the second course. She was very generous, offering her car for me to borrow to see a friend in Baltimore; I took her up on the offer and had a great time visiting my friend and walking around my old River Road neighborhood before returning to the Livingston Street home. I have fond memories of her reverence for all creatures, even the ones that are not as lovable. When I told of her of my advocacy work on behalf of farmed animals, she responded by donating to Farm Sanctuary.
She sent her last email to me on July 18, 2008. “My report of a cool Washington to you has changed drastically. Temperatures up in the mid 90s which is OK---but it's the oppressive humidity that saps my energy. But we still have such verdant trees and gardens around---I often try to imagine what it would be like to live in a village in the Sahara desert. What would birds do? ---They'd fly to another place. As would I!”
Peace to all,
Charley Korns
Barbara was a wonderful writer for the Audubon Naturalist Newsletter and a very tolerant editor of advocacy staff who always seemed to be submitting their articles late. She made all of our writing better for having passed through her hands.
She was also a lovely person to sit and chat with. I smile as write this and remember some talks with her.....and am glad to have had the pleasure of having worked with her.
She made a difference.
Stella Koch
Still Advocacy staff at Audubon Naturalist Society
Barbara was a gifted writer and a talented editor of the Audubon Naturalist Newsletter years ago. She made those of us in the ANS advocacy staff, who more often than not got their pieces in late, appear to be much better writers than we were. (There is much to be said for a really GOOD editor).
I am smiling as I think of the conversations with Barbara I had over the years....her wonder and commitment to the wild things around us......
She made a difference.
Stella Koch
Still advocacy staff at Audubon Naturalist Society
To me she was Aunt Barbara, and I didn't get to see her all that often. But in each visit or family event she shared her love with me as if I were one of her own. And the amazing thing is she did that with everyone around her. Barbara had such a gentle spirit and ease about her that as a child I had not experienced before. Looking back as an adult I know I saw that same spirit in each of her children. I'm sure they carry that with them to this day and have no doubt passed it along to their children.
Barbara was my introduction to many things of the world outside the one I knew. A different food, a treasure from her travels, my first exposure to Khalil Gibran in a birthday gift of his work. Barbara made an impression on me that has lasted a lifetime as I'm sure she has with all who knew her. I thank her for all she gave to all of us and pray that we continue to share it with others not fortunate enough to know Barbara themselves.
Post a Comment